Login

TOPIC: Project: Gorgon New Forums!

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17742

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 208

General Information
The new Project: Gorgon Forums will replace our current forum setup as we move forward! We will not be moving over threads, usernames, or any other activity. We will have a short period of time where both the new and old forums will both be online and then after which we will close the old forums. During this time, if you have created threads on the old forums that you think are important and want to transfer to the new forums - you may do so during this time. Please be aware, moving forward, members are expected to post in the correct section. We want to maintain an organized place for conversations and that starts with user posting in the correct sections.

Forum Features
The new Forums have several custom designed features that are intended to foster an active community. We believe an active community is especially important as it is typically the first-place potential players will go when deciding whether to play Project: Gorgon. As such, we want to encourage users to participate on the forums as much as possible and the new features offer an in-game incentive for doing so! The new features include Steam Login, Awards & Trophies, a Point System, Forum Store, and more! A unique feature, once fully implemented, will be the ability to use points accumulated online for in-game rewards. That includes premium gameplay time! Note: Any activity, such as spam, intended to take advantage of the system will not be tolerated.

Website Technical Issues
As you create new accounts and start to post on the new forums, we ask that you please report any technical issues here. We are aware the FAQ is empty and we will be populating that soon - if you have suggestions please post them in this thread.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 day ago by Silvonis.
You must log in to post or reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowwhe

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17743

• Erthiel
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
during my registration I got an error, saying that there was an error writing into database. I reloaded the page as suggested and I got a sort of working account.

I may be blind but I did not find a button to create new thread in part of the forum for website issues. I neither found reply button in the FAQ thread you created :D There is reply with quote button, which redirects me to a page saying I do not have sufficient privileges for that.

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17744

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
Erthiel wrote:
Hi,
during my registration I got an error, saying that there was an error writing into database. I reloaded the page as suggested and I got a sort of working account.

I may be blind but I did not find a button to create new thread in part of the forum for website issues. I neither found reply button in the FAQ thread you created :D There is reply with quote button, which redirects me to a page saying I do not have sufficient privileges for that.

You will need to confirm your email prior to being able to post.

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17745

• Erthiel
  • Thank you received: 1
That's the other thing, no email received. (I did check the spam)

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17746

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
Erthiel wrote:
That's the other thing, no email received. (I did check the spam)

I've tested with the major providers, and the message is being sent. You might need to wait or use the automated system to have another sent.

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17747

• Tagamogi
  • Thank you received: 10
First, thanks for all your hard work in getting this set up! I look forward to trying out the new forums.

Second, ok, I have to ask: What is the purpose in asking for a birth date when registering for a forum account? I'm pretty prickly when web sites ask me for personal information that *I* don't think they need, and while I'm probably willing to trust you guys, it would be nice if the registration page had some explanation on why you think that information is needed and how you were planning to use it.

I suspect you are trying to do some legal protection and prevent people under 13 posting or something? If that's the case, maybe a simple yes/no check box to "I am at least x years of age and agree to abide by the forum rules" might be less intrusive.

Yes, I'm picky.

( By the way there's a small typo in the opening post: It says "...moving forward, you MOST post in the correct sections...", not "must" )

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17748

• snowwhe
I moved my first and previously last post over a moment ago.
Aside from the ALL CAPS lettering, the new forum looks very nice.

<thumbs up>

On a related note, who knew a 10,000 character limit could be so onerous?
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by snowwhe.

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17749

• Greyfyn
  • Thank you received: 22
The site is attractive. This site was too, though. While I understand that many people need motivators to publish, personally I post when I have something of substance to say. With rewards, points, and a lottery (!), I wonder if people will be "playing" the forum more than the game. Hopefully moderators will be able to curb the fluffy fluff fluff. :whistle:

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 3 days ago #17751

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
Tagamogi wrote:
First, thanks for all your hard work in getting this set up! I look forward to trying out the new forums.

Second, ok, I have to ask: What is the purpose in asking for a birth date when registering for a forum account? I'm pretty prickly when web sites ask me for personal information that *I* don't think they need, and while I'm probably willing to trust you guys, it would be nice if the registration page had some explanation on why you think that information is needed and how you were planning to use it.

I suspect you are trying to do some legal protection and prevent people under 13 posting or something? If that's the case, maybe a simple yes/no check box to "I am at least x years of age and agree to abide by the forum rules" might be less intrusive.

Yes, I'm picky.

( By the way there's a small typo in the opening post: It says "...moving forward, you MOST post in the correct sections...", not "must" )

We are legally required to get that information, but it is kept private and is not shared unless you choose to make it available in your profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tagamogi

Project: Gorgon New Forums! 3 months 1 day ago #17763

• Thurstay
  • Thank you received: 10
Great job setting up the new forums.

Regarding the usability I would recommend to reduce the space claimed by the static headers. The size I prefer for my browser window shows just the static content, so I always have to scroll down to see anything else.