Login
  • Page:

TOPIC: massive ping

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17780

• Khaylara
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149
I logged today and my ping is around 140 when i log in (that's my normal) and instantly starts to shoot up, I'm in game atm and i have 2,300 ping. It spikes but it doesn't seem to drop under 500.

I checked my inet with 2 different speed tests, both came out around 800 Mbps download speed. I did a tracert to s0.projectgorgon.com it was 2 ms reaction time. Any idea what could be wrong?

edit-when doing tracert it goes from under 1 ms to "request timed out" and then up to 146 ms. My ISP rerouting it or server side thing?

I followed instructions from another thread and copy-pasted the text (edited some cause username and such)

Tracing route to yourdomain.com [69.172.201.153]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1 [192.168.0.1]
2 1 ms <1 ms 6 ms 192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1]
3 1 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.0.0.1 [10.0.0.1]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms br01.bucuresti.rdsnet.ro [213.154.124.94]
6 36 ms 36 ms 41 ms 83.217.231.5
7 35 ms 35 ms 36 ms ae-9.r02.frnkge04.de.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.2
34]
8 34 ms 34 ms 34 ms ae7.cr1-fra6.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.82.9]
9 46 ms 49 ms 50 ms xe-4-1-0.cr1-lon1.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.107.21]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
*you eat what you kill* (Riddick booming voice)
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Khaylara.
You must log in to post or reply.

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17783

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 208
Can you please do 3 separate traceroutes, each five minutes apart, to s0.projectgorgon.com and then post the results here?

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17784

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
As a side request, can you do a speed test at speedtest.net and post the screenshot here?

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17785

• Khaylara
  • Platinum Member
I did the speedtest already but repeated it for screenshot

I did the 3 tracert and emailed you the results. Sorry I didn't do screenshots but it was too much cropping to do and they were hard to read as img

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17787

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
Khaylara wrote:
I did the speedtest already but repeated it for screenshot

Thanks. Based on your first traceroute, you have an issue at the fourth hop and then again towards the end of the route. If you can post the additional traceroutes we can see if there is a pattern.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khaylara

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17788

• Khaylara
  • Platinum Member
It seems there is a pattern actually. Not sure how to fix it? Also not sure what's causing it, my ISP rerouting or?

To detail I logged a char in eltibule and had the problem that I described, I thought maybe it was just that map/server and logged another char in serb, same problem. I rarely have lag issues these days so it seemed odd.

PS In case you missed my edit I sent the tracert to your support email

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17791

• Observer
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok not to interfere but those upload/download speeds are very good (actually impressive as hell ) but I assume the test server is very close. You might want to try a speed test site that allows you to pick a destination server, perhaps in the states. I believe speedtest.net chooses the best server to test against based on ping so trying to reach a server in the states may be much slower and give more accurate info.

Also if a network provider is blocking icmp requests you may see consistent request timeouts that are not really true when just using traceroute. But still a good way to test. Some sort of visual tracroute may also help to find the slowest lag.

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17792

• Khaylara
  • Platinum Member
I pinged the PG site and emailed the results. I guess I just have to wait it out or see if Silvonis has a better idea.

I pinged some servers in various locations before posting (random pings towards France, U.S. and Emirates, the speed test still looks good).

edit - pinged some random server in Los Angeles and the d/l speed is about 60 mbps and upload 35 mbps. Not great, lower than usual but that translates to a ping under 200 so it still doesn't explain my 2k ping in PG.

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17793

• Silvonis
  • Administrator
Khaylara wrote:
I pinged the PG site and emailed the results. I guess I just have to wait it out or see if Silvonis has a better idea.

I pinged some servers in various locations before posting (random pings towards France, U.S. and Emirates, the speed test still looks good).

Thanks for the email and the results. Based on your results, it appears the issue is happening 3/4 hops away from your location. This may or may not be a network controlled by your ISP as your connection traverses many route servers on its way to our server. Since this is not a normal occurrence, it is likely that this issue is with the route at those hops and typically these issues will resolve pretty quickly. If it is still an issue in 24-48 hours then I'd start to dig deeper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khaylara

massive ping 1 month 3 weeks ago #17794

• Khaylara
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for checking, I'm not very stressed about it, i only posted cause it seemed I was the only one with the problem and it didn't seem normal. I'll check again 2morrow
  • Page: